Thursday, September 14, 2006

The word "blog" sounds funny...


Having my thoughts in such a public forum is new- I used to think it was a narcisistic practice to blog; putting your private thoughts out there for everyone to judge. But after having some random converstaons with bloggers, I realize that it provides a lot of opportunity for dialogue that isn't possible in "non-internet world" because of physical location of people, their willingness to approach others so directly, etc. Jacqueline rhodes' article also made the excercise more apealing by putting into a collectivist standpoint, and explaining how it can be used to interrupt the current discourse. I also like the oppositional approach to the theory on banking education, that blogging for a class assignment takes. The thought of not having to write another term paper with a thesis, middle, and conclusion makes me HAPPY. I am warming up to this excercise, even though it feels a little awkward- perhaps a lot like public speaking.

I'm hoping this will help me to gain some insight as to how to express myself in such an informal text, as well as to build on a collective and poiltical feminism that I don't see enough around me in the physical world. And although I consider myself a feminist, I am still learning what feminism means for me. I know others have a great sense of what it is for themselves, but I hope this will provide open discussion that won't make me, and others feel imbecilic for being, well, a little ignorant...

1 comment:

Me! ... uh ... Laura said...

Hey -D-

I really identified with your ambivalent feminism (I don't mean to define or label you at all - please correct me if I have misread you). I often like to refer to myself as a "baby feminist" in that, while I certainly consider myself to be a feminist, I am still struggling with defining what exactly that means for me and whether my definitions of myself and feminism in general need to be to any degree stable in order to be legitimate. I love the anonymity that the internet and this form of communication provides in that it allows one to explore who they might be, and to "try on" different identities relatively concequence- and commitment-free. Obviously we lose a bit of that in this setting, as we are, to some extent, identifiable to each other, but I still feel that the stakes are somewhat lessened. As you also note, it allows us to be a more active and direct part of each other's education. A large part of the hierarchy of the classroom is lost as we are each the authors of our own knowledge and the teacher/student dichotomy is, to some degree, removed.