Saturday, September 30, 2006

... so come give me a hUg...

Identity politics has always intrigued me by the way it (defining one's identity through association with a- usually marginalised- group), allows people to feel like they fit in, while at the same time, allowing them to feel "unique". Our culture demands that we buy into one/many of these various identities so that we may feel empowered, at some level, and I have generally leaned towards the understanding that identity politics distracts people from recognizing shared commonalities that would help to reverse feelings of alienation.

The debate about 50 Cent turned my brain insideout somewhat, in that I thought more about how the hyperbolization of black male stereotypes might really be a disruption of hegemonic discourse, and not simply an identity manufactured by capitalist entities for consumption by anyone with ears- white suberbanites, african americans in urban ghettos, or whoever. I'm not fully convinced, however, because 50 Cent is still not challenging that identity stereotype in any way. I'm not sure if the hyperbolization, among a culture that hyperbolizes so many marginalized identities (for example, italian americans, arabs, gay men, etc.) really is as empowering one might think.

I think 50 Cent "fits into" his identity group quite well, but that group has been put into quite a nice box by elites, and his success and power is quite dependant on that box keeping a certain shape.

P.S.- I, for one, LOVE the song he does with The Game...

No comments: